Thursday, November 30, 2006

Random Gym Thoughts

I love watching the numbers on the treadmill tick up . . . distance, time, calories, etc. So, I was watching the calories numbers count up this evening and I was thinking about the total number of calories burned over the course of a day in the gym. Here's what I got:

average number of people/hour: 400
average workout length: 1 hour
average caloric rate: 600 cal/hr

So, using those estimates, I get that the total number of calories burned over the course of a day is 5,760,000! Given that there are 3,500 calories/lb, I estimate that 1,645 lbs are lost in one day. That's equivalent to the body weight of 9 people (approx 180 lb) people!!!

So, as I was thinking this through, I was wondering about the total number of calories consumed in one day in the cafe at the gym. Wondering if the net weight of the people at the gym is increasing or decreasing over time. Seriously, this is what I think about while I run.

I'm starting to feel fast again in the pool. Its so frustrating to remember how it used to feel to swim fast and just not feel the same. I used to feel like I had four or five "gears" that I could swim in. Just tell me the pace that I was supposed to be on, and that was it, I could pace it perfectly. Now, I'm struggling to hold sets that used to be SO easy. Frustrating, but the more I work at it, the better I'm feeling. I think that this is my hangup about swimming, why its so hard for me to get in the pool - I remember how it used to feel, compare that to how I feel now and get upset that I'm not as fast as I used to be. But, I'm working on celebrating the little things. The little thing for me today was getting complimented on my flip turns.

I'm back on nights for the weekend, then (hopefully!) done with working crazy hours for the time being. Then, its off to Amsterdam and France for 12 days (doing my happy dance!)! The original plan involved skiing, not so much hope in that now. The Alps have been unseasonably warm this year and there's no snow. Oh well, I'll take my hard-earned time off.

Today's workout:

SWIM
200 warmup
5x100 @ 1:40 (hold 1:25)
50 active rest
5x100 @ 1:30 (hold 1:22)
100 active rest
4x50 @ 1:05 (25 easy, 25 sprint, IM order)
100 cool down

RUN
3.7 miles
30 minutes
alternate 2 min @ 7 mph, 2 min @ 8 mph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home