Thursday, October 26, 2006

Decisions, decisions

I still haven't quite figured out how to fit everything in to my days. Some days I'm really on top of things and manage to fit in all that I want to (workout, errands, downtime, etc.). Other days, I crawl into bed and can't think of anything that I actually accomplished. This week has been pretty good for me. The end is in sight to transition back to days (six night left, maybe seven) for a few weeks, so that helps improve my mood. I took the car in to get fixed, which was way overdue, so that left me feeling good about getting stuff accomplished.

All in all, a much better mood this week than last.

I am so pumped up to get some races in soon after watching the Chicago Marathon last week. It was COLD but most of the participants had big smiles on their faces. Considering we were watching at mile 21, not too bad! I had brought my camera and was all set to take pictures, but the batteries died, sorry.

We got there in time to see Dean Karnazes go by, I think, at the 3:30 pace. Kelli and Nick ran by around the 4:10 pace, and Monica (?) went by around 4:15. Don't ask me who Monica is, I don't know, but Ryan's friend was cheering her on so we were too. Since we were watching people towards the end we did see some people in real pain. I felt bad for some people who really looked like they weren't in shape to be running 26.2 miles. And I felt really bad for people who looked like they were in shape to run a marathon but for some reason or another were hurting pretty bad.

I couldn't believe the crowds despite the weather (I think the phrase "ass-cold" accurately describes it). We were standing about 5-deep on the sidewalk (more crowded on our side) and people kept rotating in to watch friends go by then hopping on the El to meet up with them at another point.

So, my marathon-watching experience inspired me to do two things. First, join the Chicago Tri Club and get some real Tri friends who have experience at this stuff. I kept hoping that the Tri store out by my house would have some real triathlon things going on, like clinics, bike rides, etc., but they're really just a running store pretending to be a tri store. Second, figure out another half-ironman distance race early in the season. I think Steelhead is going to be my "AA" race, but I am thinking of adding another "A" race in May/June in order to figure out how to do my best at the 1/2 Ironman distance. So, just have to decide which one to do now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home